Monday, December 18, 2006

Holiday reading

I went to the library yesterday to stock up on some reading over Christmas, since I'm going to have some time to fill - as of this Friday I have an entire MONTH off work! I am so excited...

Anyway, I picked out a whole bunch of books on creativity and writing (I intend to be prolific during my break), and also some self-help books, because I do love me some self-help (and Don Miguel Ruiz's books have such lovely cover art) but decided I needed some fiction to round out my selection.

I have a hard time picking out fiction - there's so much of it and who knows if any of it's any good. So I chose a few random paperbacks (I only had room for
light and compact books - the Julia Cameron books I got were all hardbacks and big and heavy). Then I noticed the 'recently returned' shelf and this one book caught my eye: Fever by Christine Feehan. Specifically, the quote on the cover that called her "the reigning queen of paranormal romance".

I didn't even know there was a 'paranormal romance' genre, let alone one with a reigning monarchy. That all sounded like a bit of fun so I grabbed it. And I got a good chuckle as I read the back of it during red traffic lights on the drive home:

Sensual half-human, half-leopard creatures stalk the
lush rainforests of Borneo...

And they mate for life.

Excellent. Needless to say it was the first book I dived into, I'm already halfway through and there have been many extended descriptions of feline-like loving going on in the jungle. Grrr baby, very grrr.

2 Comments:

At 19 December 2006 at 2:00 pm, Blogger Xeompho said...

I want that after you. I'm serious! Only, don't take it back to the library, because they want my blood there - and $71 in fines. Sigh.

 
At 20 December 2006 at 12:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get out of town! That surprises me - I expected so much more from you when it comes to reading. You'll find no measured poeticism in 'Fever', let me assure you! But you're very welcome to borrow it after me x

PS: pay your fines you naughty girl - then you can seek out all the paranormal romance your heart desires

 

Post a Comment

<< Home