Sunday, December 17, 2006

Oh good lord, what have I gone and done?

Last night I had a great date with a great guy – let’s call him Finlay, in honour of his Scottish heritage – and get this: there’s every chance in the world that he’s going to read this.

Before I get to that, let me tell you a bit about him. He’s smart and funny, good looking and articulate and a snappy dresser. He has a creative job as a graphic designer, which I find really appealing, and he even tells me he can cook. In short, he’s just the kind of guy you hope to meet but rarely find all in one package. And he was terrific company. We met at Honey Bar in town, ensconced ourselves in a big comfy couch in the corner and talked for hours.

I liked his profile when I read it and even went so far as to message him first – because of the cooking thing, for one (how sexy is a man who cooks!), and also because next to the ‘watching sports’ question he said he rarely does – this is a true bonus in a kiwi male, who often want to watch every game on TV. (I don’t mind the odd game, but the rugby season can be so long and tedious.)

Now you might think I’m giving him a rave review because of the chance he might read this, but the cause and effect actually runs in the other direction – it’s only because I liked him that I felt the desire to confess to the fact that I blog about my love life. I never would have told him about it, much less given him the name of it when he asked, if he was a dud. But he mentioned his own blog in conversation and I didn’t want to hide mine so I told him about it. And when he asked me the name of it, I even gave it to him. And he’s a smart cookie so my guess is that he’ll find his way here if he wants to.

And yes, that does strike a little terror into my heart, if I’m going to be honest. Especially when I found his own blog this morning and discovered it to be utterly innocuous and not incriminating in the slightest (in direct contrast to mine).

This could prove to be the most ill-advised dating move I’ve yet to make because let’s face it – in reading this he’s going to be privy to a lot more than he otherwise would. Is there a chance it could be a stroke of genius? A bold, risky move that pays off? I hope so. I’ve found the blogging process to be quite confessional – I’ve only ever wanted to be completely honest – and in the safety of anonymity I started sharing things that I would never say out loud to the majority of people. It would actually be really great to meet someone who could read my innermost thoughts and be okay with them.

Ah well, I look forward to seeing how this all unfolds. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

At 27 December 2006 at 2:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... that'll probably mean a good dose of self-censorship. It's tough because sometimes the very thing you want to say is the very thing you can't. Sometimes I wish my blog could have continued to be private from the g/f. But then again, I did meet her through Blogger...

 
At 27 December 2006 at 11:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, undoubtedly. It's already made me change my perspective on what I post and how. Suddenly all those entries on my libido seem like such a bad idea, ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home